Saturday, January 3, 2015

One patch, Two patch, Rail Fence (Three patch?)

+ One patch block. When making a one patch block for a quilt pattern it needs to be the exact size needed.
This one is 6 1/2" square. You can fold you material and cut more than one at a time. Or cut each one separately. Check out Bonnie Hunters tips on the previous post. I cut out five, 6 1/2" squares from the same material. You can make it scrappy and have them all different.

Okay so five blocks done.  6 1/2" squares
 
+ Two patch block.  with my oops. DO NOT CUT YET THIS IS MY OOPS.  I cut the two strips 3 1/2" x 13" and it did not come out right. 
 
Well as you can see the crocked line and the yellow around the blue this will not come out right.
Practice Practice and Pin Pin Pin
 
I had to move my needle over to the right and check a scrap for the size of the block after it was pressed open to make sure it was right. Checking  my 1/4" seam allowance did not work.
 
 
If you can cut strips straight and on size then cut one strip of each color 3 1/2" x 13" and sew them together and press open. Your piece should now measure 6 1/2" x 13". Cut into two, 6 1/2" squares.
 
I had to oversize mine to make them come out right. For me that is okay. I just need more practice.
My oversize cut for each strip was 4" x 14". Sew the two strips together.
  before you cut it out. It should now be 7 1/2" x 14".
TIP MAKE SURE THE SAME AMOUNT OF FABRIC IS ON EITHER SIDE OF THE SEAM before you trim down.
Trim the sewn strip section into two,  6 1/2" squares.  
LINE.
Okay now there is some hope.
You can laugh here.
You now have seven blocks done!.
 
 
+Rail Fence, or three patch block. You cut three strips of different colors .
Once again if you can cut straight and sew straight cut the strips at 2 1/2" x 13"
Sew then all three together and press you should measure  6 1/2" x  13".
Cut into two  6 1/2" squares.
 
I'm oversize cutting my strips to 3" x 14"
Sewing two strips together and cut it even on each side of the seam line to come out to 4 1/2"
 x 14".
Sewing the last strip on
Then trim on the last side to make it 6 1/2" x 13"
Then cut cut into two 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" squares.
 
 
 
Now you have :
5, one patch blocks
2, two patch blocks
2, rail fence or three patch blocks.
 
Guess what ! If  you sew them together you will get a big nine patch block.
Or keep making more of the same and rearrange to suit your fancy.
 
 
I decided to make my 9 blocks a Nine Patch.
Arrange any way you want. Twisting and turning.
You can call this one block of more to come, Or a small wall hanging
Maybe add some borders.
 
I learned I had to pin pin pin pin pin,
Start pinning at the beginning and then the seams and/or the end of the block/s, then ease the fabrics flat right side together and pin pin. Lift up seams to check that they match .I learned I had to put a scrap of fabric to start sewing then sew into my block then sew off on a scrap.. I get too crooked at the beginning and end of my blocks. So I had to rip out two seams on row one.
No rip outs on rows to or three. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.
And I now have a 18 1/2" square nine patch block.
 
Finished will be  18" square if sew with borders or more blocks.
Be proud of yourselves if you get it right first time. It's taken me 15 years and lots of rip out.
But we had fun... I just had to turn mine wonky.
 
Hope to see you all tomorrow.
 

 

No comments: